Woman 2 Woman

I've been doing a lot of things with "just us girls" recently.
There was the book stuff, then the women's retreat. And most recently, Woman 2 Woman. It's a Bible Study thingy for women which Kandi and Lizzy started a few weeks back. As I watched the women, talking, laughing, crying, praying, it made me realise just how important girl time is in this stage of life.
When I was younger I found women's events not a little surreal. I appreciated the fact that all the songs were in a key that didn't require a harmony or an Adam's apple, but a lot of what I saw "just wasn't me" (Hmmm.I think what I was actually saying was that these events were not going to help me find a man, and so were irrelevant).
But now I just love these things. Perhaps now, I appreciate what I took for granted in my twenties. Adult conversation. Time. Space. Fun. The power of enduring friendship through thick and thin. So now I revel in the opportunity for a Nogales road trip. A couple of hours in Starbucks, or Common Grounds. A long distance phone call, or MSN chat. A chance to stop to breathe to .... anything. And these women's Bible studies, retreats etc - are a chance to stop and be with God and share God with one another. It's like time is suspended for a minute. Or at least the mundane is, or the crazy busyness, or whatever. Whatever.
Gathering with other women (single, married, younger, older, with kids, or kid free) like we've done in the past weeks has been healing, liberating, entertaining. I return to the family refreshed, inspired, ready (and full of ideas from my girls).
Life with 2 kids revealed to me just how much I need my village. How much we need each other.
So to the ladies out there (especially some of my Sheffield girls): Join a group, start a group, find time, make time. Make is social, make it spiritual. Just make it happen! And if you ever get the chance to get away for a weekend, retreat together, hang with each other, and God ... go for it.
There was the book stuff, then the women's retreat. And most recently, Woman 2 Woman. It's a Bible Study thingy for women which Kandi and Lizzy started a few weeks back. As I watched the women, talking, laughing, crying, praying, it made me realise just how important girl time is in this stage of life.
When I was younger I found women's events not a little surreal. I appreciated the fact that all the songs were in a key that didn't require a harmony or an Adam's apple, but a lot of what I saw "just wasn't me" (Hmmm.I think what I was actually saying was that these events were not going to help me find a man, and so were irrelevant).
But now I just love these things. Perhaps now, I appreciate what I took for granted in my twenties. Adult conversation. Time. Space. Fun. The power of enduring friendship through thick and thin. So now I revel in the opportunity for a Nogales road trip. A couple of hours in Starbucks, or Common Grounds. A long distance phone call, or MSN chat. A chance to stop to breathe to .... anything. And these women's Bible studies, retreats etc - are a chance to stop and be with God and share God with one another. It's like time is suspended for a minute. Or at least the mundane is, or the crazy busyness, or whatever. Whatever.
Gathering with other women (single, married, younger, older, with kids, or kid free) like we've done in the past weeks has been healing, liberating, entertaining. I return to the family refreshed, inspired, ready (and full of ideas from my girls).
Life with 2 kids revealed to me just how much I need my village. How much we need each other.
So to the ladies out there (especially some of my Sheffield girls): Join a group, start a group, find time, make time. Make is social, make it spiritual. Just make it happen! And if you ever get the chance to get away for a weekend, retreat together, hang with each other, and God ... go for it.
Labels: church, community, Thoroughly (Post) Modern Mummy, women

2 Comments:
At 6:23 PM,
Kandi said…
You're just incredible Jo. I love you and love knowing you!!
kandi
At 2:49 AM,
Emma Andrews said…
Hey Jo, Thanks, I am feeling the need for girlie time! Your post has just encouraged me to find that here! I've missed it and need to start rebuilding! Thanks for your blog, it is really inspiring! Ems.x
Post a Comment
<< Home