Amazing Grace
I'm not one to cry at films, but I saw Amazing Grace on the flight over to the UK and I was sobbing by the end of the credits. Amazing Grace recounts the story of William Wilberforce and his fight to see slavery abolished. It was one of those films with lots of powerful one liners, that if you weren't in a plane in the dark, you'd write them down and quote them as your own profundities...
The film challenged me on lots of levels. The fact that Wilberforce was gripped by this ONE thing, that consumes him, that defined him, spoke of the level of focus and commitment. The perseverance, the persistence the depth of conviction.
This was someone whose contribution (alongside others) actually changed the world, literally. For Wilberforce changing the world was not an aspiration or a platitude. It was his life. Talk about faithful. Wilberforce is a role model of faith in action, of a commitment to justice, that spanned decades.
So I sobbed. Probably because I was challenged and inspired. And because I am grateful.
The film challenged me on lots of levels. The fact that Wilberforce was gripped by this ONE thing, that consumes him, that defined him, spoke of the level of focus and commitment. The perseverance, the persistence the depth of conviction.
This was someone whose contribution (alongside others) actually changed the world, literally. For Wilberforce changing the world was not an aspiration or a platitude. It was his life. Talk about faithful. Wilberforce is a role model of faith in action, of a commitment to justice, that spanned decades.
So I sobbed. Probably because I was challenged and inspired. And because I am grateful.
Labels: films

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home