Jo Blogs

Livin' my life like it's golden, golden...

Monday, May 07, 2007

Talent is never enough

I picked up this book at Barnes and Noble and found that I simply couldn't put it down (I forced myself to do so in the end, knowing that shoplifting wasn't the answer and that it would be cheaper on Amazon).
John C Maxwell is a leadership guru type person...

Anyway, the basic premise of the book is that our natural talents can only take us so far on the journey to success. Maxwell contends that though valuable, talent is not the only feature in a success story, but there are also other dynamics, qualities at work, especially in those who have been sucessful for a number of years.

Maxwell lists 13 things - well he referes to them as choices we make...that are important to add to your talents, including,
belief, passion , initiative, responsibility, teachability,teamwork, practice, focus....

I've not finished reading the book yet, but already it has inspired and challenged me in a number of areas in my life. Its a leaderdship book, so it's helping me process stuff regarding , work and calling and the future. But I have found it helpful when I think of my faith, my marriage, and especially parenting. Who knows, maybe I'll stop buying those baby books...

I've always been fascinated by the idea of a person's potential and success, always inspired by the story of achievement against the odds. I've always been captivated by a person's talent and determination.
I think this book speaks to me because it addresses my strengths and my weaknesses. To my strengths it points the way to growing in the things I am good at, honing my craft, developing skills. It challenges me not to be lazy, to do more than "wing it", but that there's more out there.
Yet it also gives hope to my weaknesses in a strangely empowering way. There are many things that I am not naturally good at, but still have to be done! And some of the points raised in the book are helping me find ways to get them done...

I guess after thinking about "life in the promised land" a few posts back, I started looking around for a map to navigate my through this phase of life. Like I said, I've not finished this book yet, but its already given me a few signposts....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home