Confessions of an unfit mother
When I was younger I laughed when people said
"A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips"
Maybe for them, but not I, I scoffed to myself. I dont even have hips.
Then I ate my KFC bargain bucket alone.
And as if by magic, nothing changed.
It was great.
When I turned 30 I decided I wanted to be fit and healthy and so I took up running. Loved it and became fit and healthy. I even had clothes taken in. There were no moments on the lips that could not be burned off the following morning.
I glanced at my AZ driver's licence the other day and out of the corner of my eye I saw the weight I was when I entered this county. Granted, I was running every day like a psycho back then, but it was still something of a shock when I did the math to calculate the difference.
In the 3 years since coming to the States, I have had 2 adorable children, a lot of crappy food, and a lot less exercise. I looked in the mirror and I even saw the beginnings of hips, which for me is a thing. Who knows whether to laugh or cry.
So I'm trying to get fit again. Alas its not as easy as putting on my sneaks and taking it to the streets like I did in my Sheffield days. There are 2 little ones to consider, and its Arizona - its already too hot to run by 8am. Then there is the denial that eating certain foods have any effect on me at all. There's also the fact that as much as I want to get in shape, I can't be bothered.
As you can see this is going to be an uphill battle. But I like a good fight so I'm in.
Though I did nearly throw in the towel the other week after swimming, eating well, and doing a bit of treadmill work, only to find that I had lost one measly pound. To me that is worse than losing none.
This time its clearly going to have to be a slow burn, no quick fixes this time. And clearly, no KFC bargain buckets either.
"A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips"
Maybe for them, but not I, I scoffed to myself. I dont even have hips.
Then I ate my KFC bargain bucket alone.
And as if by magic, nothing changed.
It was great.
When I turned 30 I decided I wanted to be fit and healthy and so I took up running. Loved it and became fit and healthy. I even had clothes taken in. There were no moments on the lips that could not be burned off the following morning.
I glanced at my AZ driver's licence the other day and out of the corner of my eye I saw the weight I was when I entered this county. Granted, I was running every day like a psycho back then, but it was still something of a shock when I did the math to calculate the difference.
In the 3 years since coming to the States, I have had 2 adorable children, a lot of crappy food, and a lot less exercise. I looked in the mirror and I even saw the beginnings of hips, which for me is a thing. Who knows whether to laugh or cry.
So I'm trying to get fit again. Alas its not as easy as putting on my sneaks and taking it to the streets like I did in my Sheffield days. There are 2 little ones to consider, and its Arizona - its already too hot to run by 8am. Then there is the denial that eating certain foods have any effect on me at all. There's also the fact that as much as I want to get in shape, I can't be bothered.
As you can see this is going to be an uphill battle. But I like a good fight so I'm in.
Though I did nearly throw in the towel the other week after swimming, eating well, and doing a bit of treadmill work, only to find that I had lost one measly pound. To me that is worse than losing none.
This time its clearly going to have to be a slow burn, no quick fixes this time. And clearly, no KFC bargain buckets either.
Labels: Thoroughly (Post) Modern Mummy

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home