Jo Blogs

Livin' my life like it's golden, golden...

Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Best of British....

...wrote my bro on the bit of paper encasing the two CD's he sent me for my birthday.

The CD's were Corinne Bailey Rae and Amy Winehouse.

Corinne Bailey Rae : There's something about Rae that just seems kind of wholesome, which is a terrible word to use for something that is not wholemeal bread, but bear with me. She just comes across as genuine and unaffected. Her style and look are vintage and attractive. Her voice is distinctive, yet pure and simple. In interviews she seems laid back and, well, secure. Its more than that she's a nice girl. She just seems to have it together. And her music and sound is her own.

Then there's
Amy, Amy, Amy...
To me Amy Winehouse is something of a siren.Not so together. Not at all. Lots of attitude and all that. I loved her first offering Frank. However call me prudish, but I kind of wish her lyrics were cleaner.Right now though she looks seriously in need of a few roast dinners, and that if the wind changed direction she might snap in two. It just doesn't look right on a woman with that kind of sound. Her songs may be in the charts alongside the likes of Girls Aloud, but her voice sounds like it hangs out in smoky jazz clubs with the likes of Sarah Vaughn, or occasionally shares a studio with Lauryn Hill.


If the girls are in the car with me and I can get Tia off Veggie Tales and Toddler Tunes - Corinne is my artist of choice..

So who else is out there in British music right now people? What's that Lily Allen like? She looks like half the girls I went to school with back in the day - is she any good?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 7:07 AM, Blogger Helen said…

    Did you know that Corrine is a Christian and goes to Revive Church in Leeds (Simon Hall)? Or used to anyway, which might explain her 'together-ness'. I like her stuff too...and agree that Amy Winehouse doesn't really look like you'd expect from her voice!

    I like Lily Allen, she's kinda cheeky and her lyrics are witty and clever, and very British sounding, unlike Joss Stone who is causing a bit of a do having picked up a US accent and mannerisms!

    Other British music...Take That!!! I wasn't really into them the first time, but they're latest single Shine is unfortunately really catchy. Other than that, lots of male bands like The Killers, The Kaiser Chiefs and Snow Patrol are pretty popular.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with all the above commets. I'm loving both those albums at the moment. Other music that's big is Artic Monkeys (sheffield boys!, James Morrison (I love his voice and album, Undiscovered),a new scottish act is Paolo Nutini, doesn't sound very scottish and his voice is bigger than his appearence, (a bit like Amy W!) but another great voice. KT x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home