You know you are getting old when...
You get all hot and bothered about comparisons between your music legends and the latest young buck to hit the scene...
I read this article the other day comparing Prince with Justin Timberlake - assessing who was better etc.
Now don't get me wrong. I know that the artist formerly known as his Purple Highness has always walked on the unecessarily weird side. The stilettoes, the persona, the can-you-please - speak-up- and-utter -more-than-two -words-please! interviews. The recent conversion to Jehovah Witnessing. So fair enough - totally weird.
And again, don't get me wrong. I like J.T. I loved "Cry Me A River", and loads of stuff on Justified. I even have time for SexyBack. And J.T was hilarious acting on SNL a few weeks back and performed some great songs. I like the man, I like the music.
But steady on. STEADY ON.
J.T. came out of Nsync. And i know that's not the worst thing that could happen to a musician, but its not the same as being a music phenom.
Producers Jam and Lewis tell the story that when they were recording Prince's album in the studio one time, Prince wanted to stay on late on his own. All the musicians left. The next day Prince played them a new song that he'd written the night before. The finished track. Prince had written, arranged and played and recorded every instrument for the song and laid down all the vocals. It was the song 1999 - complete in a night's work. (Not only a classic, but if Prince ever fell on hard times, it was the song that secured him a nice pension in royalties after becoming the song to play on Millenium eve - sorry Robbie).
Many, many more points could be made, but I think I'll stop there.
Comparing a good singer and dancer to a legend just doesn't work. Let it go.
J.T is probably better at being normal human being with a nice falsetto, but seriously, he is not in the same league as Prince. Only Prince can truly do Prince.
I read this article the other day comparing Prince with Justin Timberlake - assessing who was better etc.
Now don't get me wrong. I know that the artist formerly known as his Purple Highness has always walked on the unecessarily weird side. The stilettoes, the persona, the can-you-please - speak-up- and-utter -more-than-two -words-please! interviews. The recent conversion to Jehovah Witnessing. So fair enough - totally weird.
And again, don't get me wrong. I like J.T. I loved "Cry Me A River", and loads of stuff on Justified. I even have time for SexyBack. And J.T was hilarious acting on SNL a few weeks back and performed some great songs. I like the man, I like the music.
But steady on. STEADY ON.
J.T. came out of Nsync. And i know that's not the worst thing that could happen to a musician, but its not the same as being a music phenom.
Producers Jam and Lewis tell the story that when they were recording Prince's album in the studio one time, Prince wanted to stay on late on his own. All the musicians left. The next day Prince played them a new song that he'd written the night before. The finished track. Prince had written, arranged and played and recorded every instrument for the song and laid down all the vocals. It was the song 1999 - complete in a night's work. (Not only a classic, but if Prince ever fell on hard times, it was the song that secured him a nice pension in royalties after becoming the song to play on Millenium eve - sorry Robbie).
Many, many more points could be made, but I think I'll stop there.
Comparing a good singer and dancer to a legend just doesn't work. Let it go.
J.T is probably better at being normal human being with a nice falsetto, but seriously, he is not in the same league as Prince. Only Prince can truly do Prince.
Labels: music

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home