Jo Blogs

Livin' my life like it's golden, golden...

Sunday, January 07, 2007

An Epiphany

I have discovered that there are certain characteristics which are innate in humanity. Things which are part of the fabric of human nature. Instinctive, intuitive...

Like the game TAG. That's right, the game tag.

In the middle of the night. Zoe cries out for food. She is fed, and burped. And eventually goes to sleep.
Immdeiately Tia wakes up, and cries out for something. Food, company, who knows. I go into her room.
"Hi!" she says, smiling. I am not amused and settle her to sleep, ignoring her use of the word no. I know she cannot resist her yellow blankie and when the pressure is on, I will not hesitate to use it.
I go back to bed and try to sleep deeply and quickly, because who knows when -
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
Zoe is wet. Like so wet that she is soaked through. I cannot expect her to go back to sleep, even though dare I say it, I'd love it if she did. So, stumbling through the dark I change her, get some fresh clothes and blankets and somehow get her sleeping again...
I tiptoe out of her room when I hear...
"Muuuuummmyyy!"
Tia says mummy occasionally to address me personally, but more often its the word she uses when she is just plain miserable. She is wet, soaking wet. And there is no way she is going to sleep now. So I change her, put her back in the crib. Give her the yellow blankie. It's wet, but she wants it, and I want her to sleep, because I want to sleep. I put an extra blanket on to cover her and my sleepy guilt.

I stagger to our bedroom, and collapse onto our bed. My night shift is over. I reach over to my husband in his sleepy bliss, firmly tap his shoulder and utter the sacred phrase that I have come to love in recent weeks.

"Tag."

1 Comments:

  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger cliff&suse said…

    Love it Jo! Made me laugh alot in sympathy and pure understanding! Hang in there babe! Love ya xx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home