Jo Blogs

Livin' my life like it's golden, golden...

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Back and forth with British Airways

Tia and I have been in England for the past 10 days, catching up with people and visiting a conference.
The idea of flying in the light of the stuff surrounding the foiled alleged terrorist attempt was a bit intimidating at first, but in the end Chris and I thought it was still the right thing to do.

Getting there was quite an experience. Our outgoing flight was cancelled, then reinstated in a matter of hours. Security levels were through the roof. I had to get special permission to take nappy cream and baby food on the plane.Security coming back from the UK was even tighter. I had to taste the milk twice (and I don't really like milk) and taste the baby food. This time no nappy cream was allowed, nor medicines without prescription. We all got searched and patted a few times too. The only thing they didn't pat was my stomach; I guess its perfectly obvious what is hidden in there.....

Securitytasticness aside, it was pretty decent and the flights went smoothly. Much to the relief of neighbouring passengers, Tia slept all the way there. The way back was a different matter, it was a daytime flight. But she giggled and gurgled her way across the Atlantic, and smiled and talked to people, whether they wanted her to or not. And then she slept for most of the flight, again I suspect to the relief of the other passengers! I also got my first taste of how the first class fly when I got given their main meals, because cattle class were serving salmon, something my baby refuses to let me eat. Chicken gnocchi was a great alternative. I got a real plate and everything.

I watched Akeelah and the Bee on the way to the UK, which tells the story of an 11 year old African American girl from inner city LA who spells her way to the top of the National Spelling Bee. It was a warm and inspirational story without being too preachy. I liked the fact that Akeelah was not a great dancer or singer or athlete. She could spell and it helped her through her grief and alienation. The film gave credibility to geeks everywhere.
On the way back I watched Take the Lead, based on the true story of Pierre Dulaine an ex professional dancer who volunteers to teach ballroom dancing to teenagers falling through the cracks of New York's public school system. Another feel good movie about overcoming inner city struggles, Take the Lead is a lot more sentimental than Akeelah. But the dancing is really rather good and you can't help but respect Dulaine for pioneering something new that changed young people's outlook on life and their hopes for a decent future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home