Missing Englishness
We're often asked what we miss most about England. Generally for me it comes down to the food (ordinary stuff that you are used to having , bread that isn't sweet, and curries and sausages, and all that) and the politics (I am serious). But the last few weeks have reminded me of another thing I so desparately miss - England during the World Cup.
I miss the flags, the beer gardens, the way Meadowhall becomes a ghost town during certain matches. I miss the way a city falls silent and everyone is in front of a screen, big, flat or otherwise watching every move. I miss the way we all become football experts, at ill fated barbeques where the burgers are suspect, there's always too many bread rolls, but the atmosphere is fantastic. I miss the way you can talk to total strangers about a shared passion.
I love the offshoots too. Obviously I am Nigerian too, so there would always be talk about the Nigerian side and how far they'd get ( or in this current tournament someone to lament with about how they didn't even get there this time - how outrageous), and the way you adopt the nearest African team even if under normal circumstances they are your sworn enemies, because , well, its an African thing. Besides, everyone loves a giant killer. Yet this time there was no one really to talk to about why I knew Ghana were going to beat the US, no fellow Africans to share theories with.
I was warned about how it would be this time. Goff, my bro told me of the rubbish World Cup he experienced in Miami. It clearly made an impact. Even though he lives in Hong Kong, he's in England for the World Cup.Wise man. So on one level I was prepared.
But there are some things no one can prepare you for. American commentators, who are fine, but something just aint right, without Wrighty, Hansen, Shearer and co.
The fact that very few people here are paying much attention. And why should they - their team sucked. But even so - there is no World Cup fever anywhere.
A few friends share our love for the World Cup so we chat to them. But sometimes you just have to let it all out.
I was speaking to our car mechanic today and he asked
"So have you been watching the World Cup?"
Well that just set me off. About Sven, about yes we might be through but have we played anyone that was a huge challenge. About yes Beckham's goal was a blinder, but are we gonna have to rely on set pieces and referees who don't like Portugal to get us any further? And why oh why not Defoe? And why oh why didn't we get Scolari? And don't even get me started on SWP and Chelsea.....
God Bless that mechanic, he'd only called to say that my car was fixed. Realising this ( finally) I made some lame comment about how dangerous it is to talk to an English person ( I get called English here) about the World Cup and set the poor man free. You see how desparate this life has become?
I haven't found an equivalent here. The World Series is not only about baseball (reason enough to boycott and nowhere near as much fun as rounders), but America, Canada and maybe the odd Japanese or Korean team hardly constitutes global representation does it? And the Superbowl is fun, but its going to take a lot of effort to want to bother to understand the rules and why they have to where so much padding. I mean - rugby? The Olympics are great, but its just not football.
Goff, you totally did the right thing bro.
I miss the flags, the beer gardens, the way Meadowhall becomes a ghost town during certain matches. I miss the way a city falls silent and everyone is in front of a screen, big, flat or otherwise watching every move. I miss the way we all become football experts, at ill fated barbeques where the burgers are suspect, there's always too many bread rolls, but the atmosphere is fantastic. I miss the way you can talk to total strangers about a shared passion.
I love the offshoots too. Obviously I am Nigerian too, so there would always be talk about the Nigerian side and how far they'd get ( or in this current tournament someone to lament with about how they didn't even get there this time - how outrageous), and the way you adopt the nearest African team even if under normal circumstances they are your sworn enemies, because , well, its an African thing. Besides, everyone loves a giant killer. Yet this time there was no one really to talk to about why I knew Ghana were going to beat the US, no fellow Africans to share theories with.
I was warned about how it would be this time. Goff, my bro told me of the rubbish World Cup he experienced in Miami. It clearly made an impact. Even though he lives in Hong Kong, he's in England for the World Cup.Wise man. So on one level I was prepared.
But there are some things no one can prepare you for. American commentators, who are fine, but something just aint right, without Wrighty, Hansen, Shearer and co.
The fact that very few people here are paying much attention. And why should they - their team sucked. But even so - there is no World Cup fever anywhere.
A few friends share our love for the World Cup so we chat to them. But sometimes you just have to let it all out.
I was speaking to our car mechanic today and he asked
"So have you been watching the World Cup?"
Well that just set me off. About Sven, about yes we might be through but have we played anyone that was a huge challenge. About yes Beckham's goal was a blinder, but are we gonna have to rely on set pieces and referees who don't like Portugal to get us any further? And why oh why not Defoe? And why oh why didn't we get Scolari? And don't even get me started on SWP and Chelsea.....
God Bless that mechanic, he'd only called to say that my car was fixed. Realising this ( finally) I made some lame comment about how dangerous it is to talk to an English person ( I get called English here) about the World Cup and set the poor man free. You see how desparate this life has become?
I haven't found an equivalent here. The World Series is not only about baseball (reason enough to boycott and nowhere near as much fun as rounders), but America, Canada and maybe the odd Japanese or Korean team hardly constitutes global representation does it? And the Superbowl is fun, but its going to take a lot of effort to want to bother to understand the rules and why they have to where so much padding. I mean - rugby? The Olympics are great, but its just not football.
Goff, you totally did the right thing bro.

1 Comments:
At 9:03 AM,
Rad said…
And now you are also missing the annual cry of 'come ON, Tim'
Post a Comment
<< Home