Jo Blogs

Livin' my life like it's golden, golden...

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Just a thought.

Over the past few weeks, Chris and I have been stirred again about social action not being just a good thing, but part of our Biblical mandate. Reading Isaiah 58 is a constant challenge. But different things have brought the matter to my attention. The thrift store at Soul Sista (see previous post), such a simple and easy way to make a difference. The youth retreat Chris led at Camp Pinerock in Prescott we met a fabulous couple (Jason and Esther) who we chatted to lots over the weekend about different things going on in the world, different issues.
Then I watched The Constant Gardener a really powerful film looking at corruption amongst big pharmaceuticals and goverments at the expense of people in need in Kenya. I kept wanting to see Christians involved in the plot somehow, campaigning, fighting on behalf of the exploited and oppressed (I got quite involved in this film!) but then got to thinking maybe it didn't occur put Christians in there....

So it got me thinking... that's all. Maybe I need to open my eyes a bit more, read a bit more, watch a bit more, think a bit more. Do a bit more.Just a thought.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Naomi said…

    well hi Jo... just stumbled across your blog... sneaking a peek at what other members of the Order are up to... but anyhow, totally agree with you re: social action, is there anything like The Besom Projects in the US - they seem to be a great way of getting started, getting connected with people who God is looking out for and wants us to look out for too... my church is going to get together to do a project together (giving time is the hardest thing to do by yourself) it's just such an empowering idea;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home