Jo Blogs

Livin' my life like it's golden, golden...

Thursday, December 22, 2005

However....

I'm not that tight! There are some things that I totally love about Christmas too. Lots of things in fact.

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
Jack Frost nipping at your toes.
(I jest)

Hark the Herald Angels Sing. Got to be the best carol ever. Wesley and Mendelssohn, what a combination.
O Come All Ye Faithful - a VERY close runner up.

Carol Services. They are great and you only get to sing the above carols a few times a year. I really like those late night ones on Christmas eve.

For Sheffielders - that house in Upperthorpe. What a pioneer.

In England, the cold weather and winter evenings that reminds you that the year is coming to an end. In Phoenix, the fresh mornings and sunny days (26 degrees celcius yesterday my frost bitten friends) that make you think, This is my December! This is what Christmas is like now!

I used to love watching EastEnders. Depressing, I know but when you are already pretty negative about the whole thing it can be strangely uplifting.

Being married to someone who is about as Christmassy as I am.

Christmas Food. Like nice stuffing, mince pies and brandy butter. Mulled wine. Parsnips.
The year when me and Godfrey made rum n raisin ice cream. Or 2001, the year we all descended upon Banji's house.

The fact that my siblings and I have stopped buying Christmas presents for each other. No its not sad, its great. When you have 1 brother, 3 nephews, your husband, your mother in law and your friends with birthdays in January, its cool to to cut costs where you can!

Or the Christmas dinner we had on 30th November this year (in England). The fact that Tia was far more into the wrapping paper than the gifts. If only that would last!

I love the gritty reality of Christmas, the lack of pomp and ceremony that introduced this baby who, like him or not, would shape world history. I love the fact that someone that appeared so unassuming was so incredibly significant. What a way to start a revolution.
I love the gritty reality of Jesus now, beyond the pomp and ceremony, who like it or not, continues to shape my story. I love the fact that walking into some random Methodist church 22 years ago proved so significant. May the revolution continue.

And finally once of the descriptions about Jesus that you hear a lot at Christmas.
Immanuel -meaning God with us. I'll never, never get over that.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Rad said…

    THAT house is even more mad this year! but how can you prefer the hell-on-toast event that is new year to the warmth and sparkle of the saviour's day? No june for Jesus, it's loively and warming in the winter to have Christmas. And the light in the darkness imagery works a lot better in the cold winter nights. Unless you live in Australia or somewhere i expect.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home